Moran in 2017
Maria Margarita Roxas Moran
15 September 1953
|Education||Degree in Business Administration|
Masters in Development Management
|Height||5 ft 6 in (1.68 m)|
|Title||Binibining Pilipinas Universe 1973|
Miss Universe 1973
|Spouse(s)||Antonio R. Floirendo Jr. (separated)|
|Beauty pageant titleholder|
|Hair color||Dark Brown|
|Binibining Pilipinas 1973|
(Winner- Binibining Pilipinas Universe 1973)
Miss Universe 1973
Maria Margarita "Margie" Roxas Moran-Floirendo (born 15 September 1953 in Manila, Philippines) is a Filipino peace advocate, President of Ballet Philippines, and Chair of the Cultural Center of the Philippines. She is best known for winning the second Miss Universe crown for the Philippines as Miss Universe 1973.
Early life and education
Moran was born on 15 September 1953 to lawyer Francis Gonzalez Morán and Rosario McIlvain Roxas.
Her father Francis Morán was the son of Chief Justice Manuel Morán and Nieves Gonzalez de Morán, a granddaughter of Don Francisco Gonzalez y Reinado, owner of the legendary 39,000-hectare Hacienda Esperanza that included the municipalities of Santa Maria, Santo Tomas, Rosales and San Quintin, extending through the rest of Pangasinan and the provinces of Tarlac and Nueva Ecija.
Her mother Rosario Roxas is one of three children born to Manuel Roxas, fifth President of the Philippines, and Juanita Muriedas McIlvain. Her siblings are Consuelo Roxas-Javellana and Manuel Roxas, Jr.
She graduated high school from St. Theresa's College and attended college at Maryknoll College (now Miriam College). Prior to joining the Miss Universe pageant, she modeled part-time for the fashion designer, Auggie Cordero.
She won the right to represent the country in the Miss Universe pageant in Athens, Greece after winning the Binibining Pilipinas competition in 1973. Moran said that she entered the contest because of the incessant urgings of friends and family. The 19-year-old, 5 ft 6 in beauty ultimately won the Miss Universe 1973 title and also garnered the Miss Photogenic award. She is one of the only four Miss Universe winners to also win Miss Photogenic, the others being Margareta Arvidsson, Janelle Commissiong, and Denise Quiñones.
Life after Miss Universe
Two years after her reign, she married and managed to finish her Business Administration degree at Maryknoll College and Boston University and took her masters at the federal University of London, awarded through the School of Oriental and African Studies. She headed several private companies like a resort called "Pearl Farm" in Samal Island, Davao del Norte from 1989 to 1994, hosted "Margie on Mindanao" on TV and produced a multi-awarded movie, Bagong Buwan. Moran is also notable for her social and civic works especially for promoting peace and livelihood as part of the Mindanao Commission on Women Organization and recently as an ambassador-trustee of Habitat for Humanity Philippines.
Her passion and experience as a dancer at the age of 18, prompt her to promote arts and culture with Southern Philippines Foundation for the Arts, Culture and Ecology. She is now busy running the over-all operations of Ballet Philippines. In January 2018, Moran was appointed by President Rodrigo Duterte as member of the Board of Trustees of the Cultural Center of the Philippines. She was elected as the cultural agency's chairperson in April 2018.
Moran was 21 years old when she married congressman Antonio R. Floirendo, Jr. of Davao Del Norte but after 30 years of marriage, they are now living separate lives. They have 2 daughters, Monica Danielle and Gabrielle Antoinette.
|2017||Last Night||"Mama" - Mark's mother|
|1990 - 1997||Margie on Mindanao||Host||ABS-CBN|
- "Margie Moran Floirendo". mindanaowomen.org. Mindanao Commission on Women. Archived from the original on 12 October 2013. Retrieved 12 October 2013.
- "For Margie Moran Floirendo, 60 is really the new 40". lifestyle.inquirer.net. Philippine Daily Inquirer. 22 September 2013. Retrieved 12 October 2013.
- Pablo A. Tariman (2 December 2012). "Alice Reyes, Margie Moran Floirendo on highs and lows of Ballet Philippines". lifestyle.inquirer.net. Philippine Daily Inquirer. Retrieved 12 October 2013.
- "Miss Universe of 1973 feels everyone beautiful". The Montreal Gazette. 23 July 1973. Retrieved 11 October 2013.
- "Past Titleholders". missuniverse.com. Miss Universe. Archived from the original on 25 September 2013. Retrieved 11 October 2013.
- Mendoza-Cortes, Rosario (1990). Pangasinan, 1901-1986: A Political, Socioeconomic and Cultural History. Quezon City: New Day Publishers. p. 71.
- "G.R. No. L-32776". www.lawphil.net. Retrieved 14 February 2019.
- Sales, Todd Lucero (June 2008). "PHILIPPINE POLITICS AND ITS GENEALOGY". Manila Bulletin. Archived from the original on 15 October 2013. Retrieved 12 October 2013.
- CRAZY QUILT by Tanya T. Lara (14 March 2010). "Margie Moran-Floirendo on beauty queens, marriage and separation". philstar.com. The Philippine Star. Retrieved 12 October 2013.
- "From famous mothers to accomplished daughters: Lessons across generations". Inquirer Lifestyle. 7 May 2016. Retrieved 2 April 2019.
- "Clans of Empowered Women in Metro Society". lifestyle.abs-cbn.com. Retrieved 2 April 2019.
- "Margie's Art of Human Kindness". PositivelyFilipino.com. 1 October 2014. Retrieved 10 March 2016.
- Tony Paat. "BINIBINING PILIPINAS IN THE 70's". veestarz.com. Retrieved 12 October 2013.
- "Miss Universe Title Won By Filipino Beauty Queen". Herald-Journal. 22 July 1973. Retrieved 11 October 2013.
- Jude Cartalaba (14 April 2013). "Margie Moran lauds new pageant hopefuls". abs-cbnnews.com. ABS-CBN News. Retrieved 12 October 2013.
- "Margie Moran-Floirendo". habitat.org.ph. Habitat for Humanity Philippines. Archived from the original on 14 October 2013. Retrieved 12 October 2013.
- "CCP welcomes Margie Moran as new chairperson". ABS-CBN News. 18 May 2018. Retrieved 8 June 2018.
- Nino Calamba (17 January 2012). "Monica and Gabbi Moran Floirendo's Special Celebration". mindanaotimes.net. Mindanao Times. Retrieved 13 October 2013.
|Awards and achievements|
Kerry Anne Wells
| Miss Universe
| Binibining Pilipinas Universe