Royal Cinque Ports Golf Club
Clubhouse in 2008
|Established||1892, 128 years ago|
1896 (second nine)
|Tournaments hosted||The Open Championship|
|Designed by||Henry Hunter,|
James Braid (1919),
Sir Guy Campbell and
|Length||7,245 yards (6,625 m)|
Founded 128 years ago in 1892, its name derives from Deal's membership of an ancient group of trading towns granted special privileges by the medieval English monarchs, known as the Cinque Ports. The course runs along the coast of Sandwich Bay, on the same stretch of coastline as Royal St George's Golf Club and Prince's Golf Club, adjacent to the north.
Royal Cinque Ports hosted The Open Championship in 1909 and 1920. Two more were scheduled for 1938 and 1949, but both were relocated when abnormally high tides inundated the course; both were held at nearby Royal St George's. Consequently, the club was removed from the Open Championship rota, but remains a final qualifying course (most recently in 2017). It has also continued to host various other tournaments including The Amateur Championship (1923, 1982, 2013) and, since 1925, it has hosted the Public Schools Championship every year.
Royal Cinque Ports Golf Club Scorecard, Black Tees
The Open Championship
Royal Cinque Ports Golf Club, Deal has hosted The Open Championship twice.
|1909||J.H. Taylor 4th||74||73||74||74||295|
- Note: For multiple winners of The Open Championship, superscript ordinal identifies which in their respective careers.
- David Gordon Hines was responsible for the development of co-operatives in Tanganyika and Uganda, improving the living standards of farmers in their transition from subsistence farming to cash crops. In Uganda in the 1950s, his organisation encouraged some 500,000 farmers to join these co-operatives.
- "Scorecard". Royal Cinque Ports Golf Club. Retrieved July 20, 2019.